More preventive care covered under high-deductible plans
More care covered before the deductible is met
This summer, the IRS expanded the list of preventive care benefits that can be covered by a high deductible plan before the deductible is met.
Why does this matter? In a high deductible plan, only preventive care is covered before the consumer meets their deductible. The longer list of accepted services means more care will be covered at no or low-cost to employees.
The newly covered services only apply when prescribed to treat a person diagnosed with a specific chronic condition, and when prescribed for the purpose of preventing exacerbation of that chronic condition or the development of a secondary condition.
Below a list of the newly covered preventive care for specific conditions, and the associated conditions.
- Angiotensis Converting Enzyme inhibitors | Congestive heart failure, diabetes and/or coronary artery disease
- Anti-resorptive therapy | Osteoporosis and/or osteopenia
- Beta-blockers | Congestive heart failure and/or coronary artery disease
- Blood pressure monitor | Hypertension
- Inhaled corticosteroids | Asthma
- Insulin and other glucose lowering agents | Diabetes
- Retinopathy screening | Diabetes
- Peak flow meter | Asthma
- Glucometer | Diabetes
- Hemoglobin A1c testing | Diabetes
- International Normalized Ratio testing | Liver disease and/or bleeding disorders
- Low-density Lipoprotein testing | Heart disease
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors | Depression
- Statins | Heart disease and/or diabetes
Here is a list of preventive care already covered, from Healthcare.gov:
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm one-time screening for men of specified ages who have ever smoked
- Alcohol misuse screening and counseling
- Aspirin use to prevent cardiovascular disease and colorectal cancer for adults 50 to 59 years with a high cardiovascular risk
- Blood pressure screening
- Cholesterol screening for adults of certain ages or at higher risk
- Colorectal cancer screening for adults 50 to 75
- Depression screening
From explanations of forms to 2020 deadlines - and everything in between - here's what...
Your organization may be eligible for a premium rebate The Affordable Care Act limits...